CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hello 2009!

Happy New Year! I have been reflecting on 2008...the good, the bad, the ugly. This may be a boring read for most of you out there, but I am writing more as a journal entry. A re-cap of 2008, if you will.
The Good
2 great trips to CA. The first was to Huntington Beach with my hubby and son. It was an anniversary trip and escape from reality. We saw many old friends and went to the beach. We ate at some of our favorite places and got to shop on Main St. Then we went to Manhattan Beach with the entire Williams clan. All the grandkids were there and we had a great time beaching it and joking around.

All the reading I was able to do this summer and while on bedrest. This is a good thing because I feel like I exercise my mind. I love to read, but can't always find the time to do it. It is such a great escape from the hustle and bustle of chasing a 2 year old around.

Making new friends. Our ward has turned out to be one of the greatest blessings in my life. There are so many wonderful families that we have become acquainted with, and more selfishly, the most extraordinary women that I have gotten to be friends with.

Having my dad retire. Although it doesn't affect me too much directly, I am always imagining what it must feel like to know that you are done working. You have put in all this time and now, all of a sudden, its over. What an accomplishment! What a weird feeling. Retired. Done! We are all so proud of him and look forward to spending more time with him.

Surprise! Getting pregnant and not trying to. Jason and I calculated that in 2008 there were only 2 months in which I was NOT pregnant! (is that some sort of record??)

(Material girl ALERT!!) My sweet husband gave me diamond stud earrings for Mothers Day this year. I casually mentioned in a conversation that diamond stud earrings are one piece of jewelry that I wouldn't mind having. (for those of you that know me well, I am not much of a jewelry person) He surprised me as I was getting ready for church, and I was soooo excited!

The Bad
Losing Jessica. This one is terribly obvious, but when we lost Jessica I thought my heart was going to quit on me. Who knew you could love someone so much that you only met once? Although losing her was a terrible and devastating thing to go through, I also think it brought me closer to family and my husband. My testimony of the gospel grew and I know that she will always be with me.

The economy. Let's just say that this was not our best year. Remember paying $3-$4 for a gallon of gas? Yeah, that helped the old pocket book.

Having relatives lose jobs. No names, but several relatives lost their jobs this year. It hurts my heart to see family suffer.

Bedrest. Going on 11 weeks now. Probably have 5 or 6 more to go. Need I say more?

The Ugly
Paint color. Oops! We painted Quinn's new room the wrong color and Jason had to repaint it. Although it wasn't exactly "ugly", it was a little overwhelming.

My body. I guess I am just not a pretty pregnant person. My body freaks when it is pregnant. Let's just call it what it is....ugly.

So I bid 2008 goodbye and say hello to 2009. I pray for a better year, a happier year, a year where all is right in the world. I am grateful to family who have so patiently and lovingly taken care of me, Jason and Quinn throughout this whole year. And that is what I will always remember about 2008. FAMILY. And I know that my family will be forever!!

7 comments:

Campbell Family said...

Happy New Year to you! You're a trooper with being put on bed rest:) Hang in there...hope everything goes really well when the baby comes!

Alyssa said...

I just love you Emily. Your so funny, and I enjoy reading your blog entries. I will try and visit you soon. Take care!

Leigh said...

That was a great post Emily. I have high hopes for a better '09. I still need to call you. I'm such a loser friend. I think about you often and what you've gone through this past year. xoxox's

Anne said...

great post, em. you have had a roller coaster year. i love you.

Shannon said...

Amen sister! 2008 was a bad year for the Williams family! 2009 is our year to shine! Love you... see you in 2 weeks!

Paige said...

I'm just impressed you can focus on anything positive at all after losing your sweet Jessica- Let's see some preggo pics because after that baby is born we are only going to see absolute adorableness!

Angi said...

We did it! We survived the year from hell! I am taking a big risk by typing that out, even though we have both been thinking it. I may be tempting fate to start sucking up 2009. Love you! See you soon!