CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Sweater

That's me, in the middle! On Feb. 18, 1987, I was named one of the athletes of the week by our local paper. There is a funny story behind the picture. I was telling it to Jason this morning, and although he didn't think it was exactly funny, I thought I would do a post about it.
I was 13 years old when this picture was taken. It was the 80's and BIG sweaters were in! My dad had a big sweater that I liked that I decided to wear to school one day. I did not ask him as I knew that he would probably say no. So, I snuck into his closet, shoved into my backpack and put it on once I was at school. That day the paper came to my Jr. High School and took my picture for this article. I left the sweater in my locker that day and kind of forgot about it. A couple of days later my dad asked me if I had his sweater and I said "no". (oops! that is why Jason did not think this was a funny story) I stuck to my story and figured I would get the sweater out of my locker and put it back in his closet and all would be well. The next morning the paper came and my dad was livid! There I was smiling with my big ol' braces in HIS SWEATER! Yikes! What a stupid teenager I was! He drove me down to the school that instant and made me open my locker and retrieve the sweater. I do not remember what my punishment was for that stunt, but I feel I should be punished now for my idiotic mind thinking he would never know, as I stood there smiling for the picture. (Yes, I am ashamed that I did that, but it makes for a good story)

9 comments:

Lesley said...

Once when strech pants and big button up shirts were in, I borrowed someone's giant shirt to wear sportin my new cream stretchies. It was so big on me I had to roll the sleeves up and it looked horrid. I thought it was "tight" and felt like a hottee. So classic those eighties were!

Unknown said...

Are you kidding me? That is hilarious! That's why we are BFF walking buddies. I totally get it! Brian is like that, too. He doesn't laugh at half of the stuff I find funny. Party Pooper! I loved that story!

Angi said...

How can he not think that is a funny story! That is one of my absolute favorites from the Williams archives! I have never gotten to see the actual paper clipping though- that made my night!

Leigh said...

I did the same thing with my dad's sweater! I just found a picture of it, and I look absolutely ridiculous. That story is hilarious.

Shannon said...

I love that story, and the clipping. Those are some sweet bangs you got going on there. What were we thinking in the 80's?

zack&kami said...

I love the story. Happens to the best!! And whatever Jason. It is FUNNY!!
So I love your blog. I was just reading all your entries and they are so sweet. Sorry I haven't called I am in ShowLow but will be back Monday. We should go to the Tempe water park together. That would be so fun. We will see you Monday
Love ya,
Kami

Paige said...

Yeah, trapped! Great story, but you should have been forgiven for getting in the paper.

Shelby said...

I totally remember you at that stage. I also like the pic of Paul Wherley next to you. I can't make out what his sport was, though.

Anne said...

that is hilarious and totally something i would have done. the stealing and the lying. i was way into my dad's sweaters. i love that picture, by the way.